How to set up an AT&T DSL modem
I replaced my AT&T DSL modem today, and had to call a tech to activate. The tech nicely walked me through how to set up the modem without using the auto-activate procedure (which would have installed extra software). Note that when activating the modem, the network password is NOT the password for accessing your online AT&T account (although account ID is the same). It's a password that is used only for activating the modem, but you should still write it down somewhere safe in case you need to replace the modem again in the future.
1. Connect your computer directly to the modem (don't go through a router: you can plug the router in after you activate) and direct your browser to 192.168.1.254. An information page will open up: click Disconnect.
2. After you disconnect, the page will ask for your modem access code, which is on a yellow sticker on the bottom of your modem. Enter the access code.
3. The next page will ask for your user ID and network password (again, not the same as what you use to login to the AT&T website: this is why I had to call tech support)
4. Enter the user ID and password, and you'll be done.
5. The page at step 3 will accept your online password, and show you the Internet, but subsequent pages will say that "AT&T has detected a problem." This means the wrong password was entered.