Back when I was single, or dating, weekends were a time of fun, recreation, and relaxation (and also, sometimes, boring or merely filled with never-ending homework). Now that I am married and own a house, they can be...otherwise.
Saturday we got up early and pounded the streets for an hour or two, hanging door hangers for our VBS that is starting this Thursday and runs until Saturday. Once we were done we headed for Home Depot, which is around 30 minutes away in another town, to pick up our solar-powered streetlamp and look for a new weed-whacker and a new screendoor. Found the weed-whacker, not the screendoor: apparently we will have to special-order the door. Then we came home and crashed for the rest of the afternoon, as neither of us slept well Friday night. No idea why, but that meant our poor dog spent most of the day in his kennel, a most unjustified sentence.
Sunday we did the usual church things, and Monday I stayed home from work to get some serious work done on the house. I intended to spend the morning installing the streetlamp and the afternoon painting the apartment. But as usual, circumstances did not cooperate. Did you know cast-iron is pretty much impossible to cut? I didn't realize the pole was cast-iron: I thought it was steel. Now
I think it is cast-iron, because when I went to cut off the top of the pole to make the top flat (if you've forgotten, this is the tall rusty pole with no light on it that has been an eyesore for years)...well, I used a sawzall, and it took 3 blades and four batteries to cut it. I should've used a circular saw with an abrasive blade or something like that, but by that time I was halfway done.
The pole is 4 1/2 inches around, while the lamp has a base that is 3 1/2 inches around, designed to sit over a smaller pole. So I thought I could just sit the lamp base down inside the pole, which indeed worked quite well. To fasten it, I planned to run a bolt through the pole and lamp. But, as I say, the pole is cast-iron. My drill, an 18-volt hammer drill with titantium bit, barely scratched it. So I scrapped that plan and tried an epoxy, since the lamp doesn't need to be held extremely tight, just enough to keep it from wobbling. But naturally, the fit is not tight enough for the epoxy to connect. So I'm still looking for a way to set the lamp securely in the pole. I'm now contemplating wrapping the bottom of the lamp---the hidden part---in tape until it's thick enough to jam down into the pole. Not very elegant, but the friction grip might be enough, and it won't be evident.
So anyway, today my arms feel like lead, from using the sawzall while standing 15 feet high on a ladder. But the lamp looks nice! The light's not quite as bright as I wanted it, but it'll work. I did also get a fair bit of painting done upstairs. If I can, I plan to keep taking Mondays off for a couple of weeks until the apartment is done.